Di, I am a 59 year old man and feel like I need a facelift but am afraid that I will end up looking like Kenny Rogers. It seems like men can’t get face lifts. What facial procedures have you seen men get that help them turn back the clock without making them like a cartoon character of themselves? (Tim M.)
You’re wise to do your research before going in for a surgical makeover and with the proper research, I’m sure your makeover will be fabulous! Facelifts can be done on men but should be approached differently than for women. First of all, men have thicker skin, more hair follicles and blood vessels in their facial skin. Risks and complications can be higher. In addition, hair bearing skin that is brought up to and behind the ears when the skin flaps are pulled back change your shaving patterns. Scottsdale plastic surgeon, Dr. Sean Lille, believes that full facelifts have the potential to feminize men and cause their looks to change significantly. Hmm, I wonder what Burt Reynolds, Kenny Rogers and Mickey Rourke would say?
So what’s the solution? “Less is more” is vital in male facial rejuvenation surgeries. Directly addressing each aging sign of the face and concealing the scars along the facial wrinkles, provides the best strategy to optimize results and minimize downtime and risks. For example:
- Forehead: Raise the eyebrows by placing incisions in the creases of the forehead.
- Eyes: A blepharoplasty (eyelid lift) can turn back the clock ten to fifteen years.
- Cheeks: Fat grafting to cheek areas to provide a scaffold support to the mid-face can really help alleviate the “gaunt” look. I love this procedure!
- Mouth area: Soften the deep creases between the cheek and the mouth area by excising the deep nasolabial crease.
- Neck: Eliminate the turkey gobbler neck by performing a midline Z-plasty necklift, where a zigzag scar is hidden below the chin area. This great procedure tightens neck muscles and removes excess skin and significantly reduces facial jowling and the scar is virtually inconspicuous.
So men can turn back the clock, and to look as hot as possible for as long as possible….you may want to defeat gravity and turn to the scalpel after all!
Remember….Beauty without virtue….is like a rose without a scent!